Honor Home | New Honors | Arts & Crafts | Health & Science | Household Arts | Nature | Outdoor Industries | Outreach Ministry | Recreation
House Plants Requirements
Probably not the first honor that comes to mind when you think of teaching a nature honor. But it's fun and really quite an easy honor to teach and with a little planning you may help Pathfinders become interested in house plants.
- Where to get plants - put a notice in the church or school bulletin that you need house plants or cuttings, especially in the fall when people may be bringing in their houseplants and find they have more plants than they have room for.
- Have someone from your local plant nursery come in and either teach the honor or cover some of the requirements.
- Potting soil can be expensive so make your own by mixing top soil with perilite. You can mix it in a large Rubbermaid® tub. This will also give a good place to store the mixture.
- If you are teaching a large group of children it can take a lot of pots to put all of their plants in. Ask a local cafeteria to save the 24 oz. cottage cheese and
16 oz. sour cream containers. Then with a hot nail (held with insulated pliers) poke at least five holes in the bottom of each container. This should only be done by adults.
- A fun thing to do might be to paint some cans (coffee can size to use for plant holders. Even though it doesn't apply to the honor, the Pathfinders would have fun being creative making the plant holders.